3.04.2009

Oh MUSIC!

I am so excited I can't contain myself. Every once and awhile I hit these moment of pure enthusiasm for something, something that makes me so filled with joy that I want to shout about it and share it with the world, in hopes that everyone else will be made as happy as I am by the beauty of what I have discovered.


Right now is one of those times.
Right now the "something" is music.

More specifically, it is a handful of bands that have come to inspire me over the last few days. You may have
heard of a few, but hopefully a few are new to you, something to be discovered, uncovered, and admired.

This craze all began a few nights ago when I decided to go to a show at local venue. This venue being "The Detroit Bar" in Costa Mesa, walking distance from work. The Detroit Bar is a local haven for the young and the hip, a place to go hear local bands for free on Monday Nights, where you are inspired to sing Karaoke under the influence of one of two Stella Artois on a Sunday night, and the one real place in Orange County to see worthwhile bands. In my opinion.

I rarely pay to see bands here, even though they manage to book fantastic acts (which in the past have included Dr. Dog, Sebadoh, The Album Leaf, Datarock, The Ravonettes, The Black Lips just to name a few). But with sudden inspiration from a co-worker, I decided to head out and see a $12 show on Monday. What is $12 really?

Two of the bands there are bands that I would like to preach here from my virtual soap box about:

I had heard of them before hand, but they impressed me live. The voice on the lead singer, combined with the vigor and energy he had singing on stage inspired me! He made me want to be a lead singer ... and once again affirmed that you don't need to play an instrument to be a lead singer. Your voice and presence alone are an instrument and gift to the audience.
Please, I invite you to view the video above for their single "Ghost Under Rocks", it is the catchiest song I have listened to in awhile. Also, I highly recommend their single "Dying is Fine".

Also note-able about this band, they are touring with my favorite band, "Death Cab For Cutie" this spring. Along with "The Cold War Kids". Rad. Now if only they would add an Los Angeles date.





















This band opened for "Ra Ra Riot" at the Detroit Bar on Monday. And they won me over, fast.
It helps that I instantly started crushing on the lead singer (a male drummer who is a leadsinger who has red hair, a beard, glasses, and quite the vocal abilities ... yep). But aside from that, their music made me happy. It's catchy, poppy, and fun. And there is nothing wrong with that. At all. Check out their Myspace and give them a listen, seriously.





















Do I need to defend this? Do I even need to explain.
Oh Colin Meloy! Oh Lyrics! Oh Everything about this band! Oh pretentious hipster bands that I love to love.

Just do me a favor, go to their myspace page @ www.myspace.com/thedecemberists, and listen to the two singles from the new album posted. "Hazards of Love 1" and "The Rake's Song." A little dark and a lot of amazing. The new album drops on March 24th and I'll be buying it.

4) Aushua


















A local OC band that deserves a listen or two.
They are the resident band at The Detroit Bar during March and will be playing most Mondays of the month.
I highly recommend checking them out.
And give the single "Sister Saves" a listen @ their myspace. www.myspace.com/aushua
It will change your life.



















The Colourist are a new band out on the scene here in my humble town of Costa Mesa. They played their first show at a great local art venue, eVocal, in town last weekend and I was blown away! They are a band to watch!
Also, they have quite the lovely drummer (who does some enchanting supporting vocals) if I do say so myself! They are now recording, so be on the look out for their music to be online soon. AND they have a few shows in L.A. that you might want to catch if you can.

Now I hope you end up like me, listening to some of these bands and their songs over, and over, and over, and over again. Until your fellow co-workers are wondering why you have played the same song 20 times in a single day.

No comments: