1.25.2009

Something Else to Share


That video is a little treat that is related to this blog. That is one of my favorite visual segments from Season one of "This American Live", the TV show (not the radio show, obviously).


I sometimes go months without listening to "this american life" on the radio/web. It is almost as if I get too lazy. Not too lazy to click on the website and choose an episode, but mearly too lazy to mentally participate in the act of listening. When you listen to TAL, you get engrossed by the stories, you get wrapped up in them, you get emotional, you question, and you think.

And this is the very reason I love this show. And the very reason I sometimes opt out of listening for awhile. But I really wish I would never opt out, because when I do stretch out on my unvaccumed bedroom floor, and put on my headphones, I relish in every moment of TAL.
Ira's voice, the structure of the stories, the music, and the way that nearly every episode is "my favorite" after listening.

I once said in an older blog on myspace, when writing about my bump in with Ira Glass, that "It gives me hope every week. It gives me hope that one day I can do
something as fantastic and as real as this show."
It does give me hope. Their images and their

On the topic of hope, I am listening to an episode that was aired the week before Obama's inaguration, in which they had people across the US communicate their feelings, negative or postivie, in anticipation of the new administration. It is an episode of hope, or rather (as stated by one of the shows contributors during one of the acts) an episode of cautious optimisim.

On a smiliar note, I bought the "This American Life: Season 2" DVD a few days ago. I cried watching the episode "Escape" today. If you get the chance, go view it. The DVD also has the "LIVE" show they showed in theaters, live, for one night. It is a great show case of storytelling, if you are into that kind of thing.


P.S. One week later, I still can't belive it. I really can't. Barak Obama is our president. I am still lacking the words to say what I am feeling. Mostly because I think it has been said before, you've heard it. But I am proud, happy, anxious, and curious.

No comments: