1.07.2009

2009.

How did we get 9 years into the new millennium already?

Here is a LINK to a cool video I saw on a friends myspace, giving a global view on the state of the world going into 2009. Check it out, please.

And stay here for my EXTREMELY exciting reflection on my personal experience with 2008:

2008 is certainly a year I can reflect on. It was not my most "active" of years. It was a year of responsibility and reflection. In 2008 I probably did more reflection on how I got to be where I am today, at 25, than any other year. I looked at every year of my life, every decision I have made, and analyzed how it makes up my personal view of the world and what I value. And also see why I do what I do in the present, behave how I behave, and attempt understand my own aspirations for the future.

I finally moved back out on my own, after a year of living at home after college. And I now take full responsibility for myself, and have my own life to pave. And this last year I held more responsibility than I ever have before with my job. A job that I take pride in what I have done and what I do day to day.

It was certainly a year of friends; the friends I have at Roadtrip is a family I will have forever. Regardless of weather I work there or not. I have to say I probably spent 90% of my year in their presence, from work to Coachella to camping to roadtrips to after hour shenanigans. I love them, and they teach me to live within the present moment and allow me to be myself 100% of the time. How amazing is that? They let me make a Holiday Album with them this year, they let me play with my quirky ideas. It is rare to exist with a group of people who build you up, not tear you down. And for them, I am thankful.

It was a year of challenges. I drove from Erie, PA to Costa Mesa, CA in five days. The quickest adventure of my life, and perfecting RV driving skills that puzzle most truck drvin' men (I cannot tell you how many times I have heard, "you drive that thing hunny?" Why yes sir! I can even pay my own bills and fix a flat tire with out a man!). I ran a marathon. A goal I have had for YEARS now. I did it, and can attribute my success to the very fact that I was a happy with my life at the point I tried, and had confidence I could do it. And on October 12, I did run 26.2 miles. And in less than 6 hours!

And speaking of challenges, my family saw the first passing of a Grandparent, and the first loss of someone truly close to me in my life. That changes your perspective on life and the opportunities we have at hand. The time we have on this earth is limited and we never know when the end will come. The cliche is to make each moment count, but what other way can you put it? Also, I was reminded that we are remembered by our choices and actions when we are alive. Ultimately, how you treat other people, and your attitude, and how you live is the way you will be remember once you are gone. The passing of my grandfather is still something I am swallowing, and death may never be something I digest. Or at least anytime soon.

In the end, 2008 was a year of happiness. It will not be the most monumental year, it wasn't the year 2007 was with my roadtrip. 2007 was the year my entire world was rocked. My entire perspective on life and how I could handle it was moved. My foundations were shifted and I became solid in who I wanted to become and the life I wanted to lead. In 2008, I started working on that. All the changes within me in the last year were subtle. Subtle decisions about my future, about my free time, about relationships, about friendships ... but they are decisions I would not have made prior to my roadtrip. 2008 was a reflection.

And last but not least, 2008 was a year of anticipation. Anticipation of change. America elected that change, in the form of one man. Obama. And like the rest of our country I await the changes, the economy, and our future with eager hopes. And with the theme, I anticipate some HUGE changes in my own life this year. If 2008 was a year of responsibility, reaffirmation, and reflection, then 2009 will be a year of action, change, and exposure. I call this now. I know this now.


For fun, some rankings:

Kristin's Top Movies of 2008:

1. Wall-E, but of course.
2. Vicky Christina Barcelona
3. Rachel Getting Married
4. Dark Knight
5. Milk
6. Snow Angels
7. Revolutionary Road
8. Slumdog Millionare

*note* still need to see Happy Go Lucky , Man on Wire, and The Wrestler.

Kristin's Top Songs of 2008:
*it really was NOT a good year for Albums and I*

1. MGMT, "Kids" / "Time to Pretend" / "Electric Feel"
2. M.I.A., "Paper Planes"
3. Usher, "Love in this Club"
4. Rhianna, "Don't Stop the Music"
5. Hot Chip, "Ready for the Floor"
6. Kanye West, "Flashing LIghts"
7. Santogold, "L.E.S. Artistes"
8. Lil Wayne, "Lollipop"
9. M83, "Kim and Jessie"
10. Fleet Foxes, "White Winter Hymnal"

Kristin's Top Moments of 2008:

1. While literally LIFTING off the ground while on board a Jet Blue flight, Seattle bound, I hear the announcement on Jet Blue's wonderful directTV service, that Barak Obama was elected America's 44th President. He is our first African American President. I then proceed to watch his speech while floating over America. Amazing.
2. Roger Waters performs "Dark Side of The Moon" live at Coachella. Then followed by an epic dance party at the Justice tent. It was all like a dream. Who in our generation will be able to say they saw "Dark Side of The Moon" live? Flying pig and all ...
3. Making "Papa Jerry Just Wants Socks," the Holiday album we made at work, in honor of my grandfather (who passed away in the Fall). Despite our lack of talent, we did it anyways. It had always been a funky dream of mine to make a silly holiday album, and so we did.
4. The Beck/Spoon/MGMT night. After returning from a 2500 mile RV drive in 5 days, I had tickets to go see the show at the Hollywood Bowl. Always a treat, but the real treat was the evening in store. All 12 of us somehow decided a room at the Embassy Suites by LAX was the right move. And one of the more interesting and fun nights of my life ensued.
5. My Best Friends Wedding. No, not the Julia Roberts movie. And no, I didn't try to steal the groom. There was actually two weddings. Amy and Kristina both got married, and I was even the Maid of Honor at one . Despite my skepticism of marriage at times, I had a great time watching these two unions. It was beyond interesting to enter the stage of life where friends are deciding to make that commitment.


new years resolution: to become a much healthier eater.

No comments: